The cuisine of Udupi in the Mangalorean belt is so unique and special. Most of the vegetarian dishes in Udupi cuisine follow a tradition of no onions or garlic in their food of Udupi style sambar.
Shallots / Sambar Onion.
Salt to taste.
Jaggery or Sugar.
For Cooking Dal:
Udupi Sambar Powder.
Oil / Ghee .
Dry Red Chili.
- First cook dal, by taking all the ingredients given for cooking dal in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles, simmer the cooker for 5 Mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself. Open the cooker and mash up the dal. Set aside.
- Now make the sambar masala. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add in all the sambar masala ingredients. Roast on a low heat till it gets golden. Remove this to a blender and add little water at a time and make it into a fine paste. Set aside.
- Take a big pot. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil. Once it is hot, add in onions, shallots, green chilies, tomatoes and curry leaves. Sauté for a couple of Mins.
- Add in all the veggies along with salt and turmeric powder. Mix that well for 5 min or so. So there is no raw smell.
- Now add in water and cover the pot and cook for 10 Mins till the veggies are tender.
- Add in cooked dal, sambar masala, and jaggery and tamarind pulp. Mix well and taste the sambar adjusts the seasoning. Simmer the pot for 10 to 15 Mins.
- Now make seasoning by heating oil or ghee and frying all the ingredients listed. Pour this over the sambar and mix well.
- Add in lots of chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.