Coimbatore Style Sambar Recipe is a traditional recipe that is famous from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. This recipe has a strong aroma from spices like cumin seeds, fennel seeds, asafetida, and coriander and is laced with the texture of coconut with dal.
- Toor Dal
- Curry leaves
- Coriander Seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Tamarind Paste
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Dry red chilies, soaked
- Fresh coconut, grated
- teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Oil, for tadka
- teaspoons Ghee
How to make Coimbatore Sambar Recipe
- To begin making the Coimbatore Style Sambar Recipe, prep all the ingredients first. Soak the arhar dal in required water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the lentils are soaked, drain the water, add the dal in a pressure with 2 cups water and pressure cook for about 4 whistle. Let the pressure release naturally.
- In a saucepan, add drumstick, Sambar onions, tomatoes with sufficient water on high heat for about 10 minutes or till cooked. Keep it aside. You can use a bit of vegetable stock for grinding masalas for the sambar.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with oil. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafetida, dry red chilies, coconut and roast for about a minute of till fragrant. Allow to cool to room temperature. You may spread this on a plate and leave on kitchen countertop for faster cooling.
- In a mixer grinder, grind the masalas with the help of a bit of water, or the stock of boiled veggies to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground masala back in the saucepan, add tamarind paste and start boiling the sambar with cooked dal, and about a glass more of water or to the required consistency.Add salt and stir well.
- While the sambar comes to boil, in the Kadai, heat a bit of oil. Once it is hot, on medium heat add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add curry leaves and saute for a few seconds, on low heat.
- Once the sambar is boiled well for about 5-7 minutes, switch off heat, add the oil tadka, top it with some ghee and give it a stir. The Coimbatore sambar is ready to serve.
- Serve Coimbatore Style Sambar Recipe with Steam Rice& Idli etc……