Chettinadu cuisine is popular in Tamil Nadu, they are known for using a variety of fresh and roasted spices along with coconut. Dishes are aromatic, flavorful and finger licking delicious.
- Fenugreek seeds
- Cumin seeds-
- Garlic, chopped
- Small onions
- Coconut grated
- Mustard seeds
- Whole dry red chilies
- Curry leaves
- Toordal or Pigeon pea
- Drumsticks (or use mixed veggies like carrot, potatoes, eggplant, lady’s finger, small onions)
- Turmeric powder
- Chili powder
- Coriander powder
- Salt- to taste
- Fresh coriander
- Tamarind extract
- Place a pan over medium heat, add oil and let turn hot.
- Add fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds. Be careful not to burn the fenugreek seeds.
- Add garlic, saute for a few seconds.
- Add small onions and coconut, roast till coconut turns golden brown in color.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let coconut cool down for a bit.
- Add to a blender along with ¼ cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Cooking vegetables
- Soak 3 inch slice fresh tamarind in 6 tbsp warm water for 3 minutes, squeeze the tamarind in water and extract the juice, strain the juice.
- Place a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add oil, let turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add whole dry red chilies and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add Toordal, saute for a minute.
- Add drumsticks, combine well.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Combine well.
- Add 1½ cups water, combine well.
- Cover the pressure cooker with its lid, place the whistle and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or till 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure subside and open the lid.
- Combine the cooked lentil and drumsticks.
- Add Asafetida and combine well.
- Add the ground roasted coconut paste, combine well.
- Add tamarind extract, combine well.
- Add ½ cup to ¾ cup water to thin down the gravy and cook till gravy starts to boil.
- Taste and add more chili powder if more spice is needed and salt for taste.
- Add chopped cilantro, combine well and cook for a minute.
- Remove the pan from the stove, keep it covered for some time.
Serve with rice, idli,