We thank Mr.KundanLalGujral, founder of MotiMahal chain of restaurants, for revolutionizing the traditional preparation of black urad lentil. Black whole urad dal (black gram) served with hot rotis was a specialty of West Pakistan, which Mr.Gujaral brought along with him as he crossed the national frontiers and included it in his dhaba menu. However, the turning point for the traditional black urad dal preparation came about when Mr.Gujaral mixed cream and tomatoes (as a souring agent) to the dal. No Punjabi had ever done this before. Even if they did require a souring agent, yogurt was used. At Mr. Idli we value the efforts of the founder of this amazing recipe and we will continue to keep his legacy alive… always!
- SabutUrad Dal
- Purified Mineral Water
- Chopped Ginger
- Vegetable Refined Oil
- Shah Jeera
- Kasoori Methi
- Tomato Puree
- Chilli Powder
- Fresh Cream
- Slit Green Chilli
- To the daal, add water, salt and ginger. Cook until daal becomes tender.
- In a heavy based pan, heat butter and oil. Add shahi jeera and kasoorimethi. When they begin to splutter, add tomato puree, remaining salt, chilli powder and sugar.
- Stir-fry over high flame, till the oil separates.
- Add cooked daal and bring to boil. The consistency should be such that the daal should move around freely when stirred, otherwise add a little water.
- Leave to simmer, uncovered, till well blended. Stir-in cream and once it gets heated through, serve immediately, garnished with green chillies.